4.30.2008

Updates from random corners in the circle

-I recently ordered a custom t-shirt from Zazzle.com and was very pleased with the quality of the shirt they sent me. It was affordable, well-made, and attractive. Their website was also extremely easy to use, making everything from creating an account to customizing the shirt a painless process. Way to go, Zazzle!

-I saw Saul Williams perform at the Troc in Philly on April 11th. He rocked my socks off for a good 1.5 hours, performing poetry readings, material from his new album, and some of his older stuff as well. I have never been so impressed with a concert. It was fantastic.

-I finally got my hands on a copy of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon:Desert Seige for Mac. I got it partly for the sake of nostalgia, partly because it is just a really friggin good game.

-
After giving a listen (or six) to the new singles by My Brightest Diamond, Weezer, and Coldplay, I took the initiative and pre-ordered each of their respective new releases, due out in June. June is going to be a fantastic month for new music. Stay tuned.

-I reconnected with my friend Mikaela, whom I hadn't had any contact with since I was perhaps 13. It turns out that we have a ton in common despite the long disconnection.

-I finally got my hands on a copy my The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. This is a book that I have been aware of since I read an excerpt from a home-schooling reader in second grade, but had never actually attempted to read until recently. I like it a lot.

-The music of Klaus Schulze continues to fascinate me in ways I never thought possible. The music is simple yet incredibly complex. It is infused with something more than just the sequencers used to program it, the sounds that swirl together to form patterns, beats, rhythms, and melodies. There is something more in the music that cannot be replicated, and that is what keeps me coming back time and time again. I have listened to his four track, 1.1 hour long epic En=Trance from 1987 probably over 50 times and it still mesmerizes me.

-I purchased Living-Color-guitarist Vernon Reid's latest work, Urban Mythology: Volume One, and it has received heavy rotation in my cars CD player along with Californication. Both albums are brilliant, though I have to say that Reid's release is slightly superior.

No comments: