4.19.2008

Select Musical Tastes - Why These?

It’s odd how I remember the exact time and place I first was exposed to select music.

 

I was in 10th grade, cleaning my room one afternoon the first time I heard the Goo Goo Dolls Gutterflower album.

I was riding a Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto in 8th grade the first time I heard Linkin Park’s Hybrid Theory on a classmate’s MD player.

I was lying on my floor doing math homework the first time I heard the Three Doors Down Better Life album.

I first heard Nirvana’s epic Nevermind on an airplane while traveling from Tokyo to Okinawa in 10th grade.

The first time I heard any material from Kid Rock, Offspring, or Creed was from a mixtape I made off the radio in seventh grade.

The first time I really listened to the entire Temple of The Dog EP was while painting the outside of my summer cabin the summer before I went to college.

I have a very distinct memory of the first time I heard Radiohead’s 2003 release, Hail to the Theif. I was sitting on a couch in a basement in Minnesota with my friend Alyssa, staring at the green Xbox CD screen. I was 16.

I was doing homework on the computer in my dad’s study one night during my senior year while listening to Yahoo! Launchcast radio. Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar on Me” came on, and my music taste was forever altered,

I was standing in my basement room, 16 years old, when I first heard Eddie Van Halen play “Eruption” on the radio. I was speechless for a good five minutes.

No comments: