7.04.2007

A Nighttime Endeavor

I wake my friend from her restless sleep
I say to her, "Let's go on a walk, somewhere"

She smiles, and asks me, "Where to?"
And I reply to her, "Anywhere our feet lead us"

It's past midnight when we start our stroll
The whole world gone to bed by now

Out the door and down the walk
We turn left because we feel like it

Lazily along the sidewalk we go
In tandem on this cool summer night

The rain has lessened, but is still, there
The drops in the street lights fall slowly

Our hands find the other eventually
And mindless babble is not needed

When two lovers get as close as we
The sound of breath is more than enough

We come upon an intersection
One way flashes red, the other yellow

Apparently even in the deepest night
One way is still more important

We go straight for no real reason
We walk down the center line

'Fwip fwip' go our bare naked feet
The sound makes me smile and I turn to her

The moonlight gives a shining image
A face with no imperfections

The streetlight reflects her figure in the puddles
I kiss her on the fore head; she smiles

We find a bridge and stop for a bit
The water running like Chopin in our world

She turns to me and on her tip-toes
Gives me a playful peck on the lips

The time is only as romantic as we make it
The only pressures are we have are specious

We are free, she and I, to love and walk
As we see fit; as we see needed

We could stop, we could go
All the world is ours for now

Words are few as we complete our walk
The nighttime insects dance with us

For moonlight is a strange music
Dancing is only minutes away

We dance to the door, I stop and unlatch it
We slide in, soaked; our clothes are cast aside

We cuddle up, and drift asleep
Dreaming of the tides

No comments: