6.14.2007

Wowza!

So I've started this pretty awesome book called Don't Waste Your Life written by a guy named John Piper. In it is this quote that really hit me.

"The really wonderful moments of joy in this world are not the moments of self-satisfaction, but self-forgetfulness. Standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon and contemplating your own greatness is pathological. At such moments we are made for a magnificent joy that comes from outside ourselves. And each of these rare and precious moments in life--beside the Grand Canyon, before the Alps, under the stars--is an echo of a far greater excellence, namely, the glory of God. That is why the Bible says, "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims the work of his handiwork" (Psalm 19:1)"
Do you have moments like that? I think we all do. I can remember a few of mine quite distinctly. Moments like when I saw a shooting star from the top of Mt. Fuji as day broke, the first time I listened to a Klaus Schulze album, or playing the video game Rez for the first time. Moments like these make you wonder, "If God allows this kinda awesome stuff to happen on Earth, how much better will heaven be? Complex music, beautiful art, and jaw-dropping landscapes are just a hint of what heaven will be like.

1 comment:

wit and whistle said...

I need that book.